Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Why did I initiate the break up?

I got a lot of flack when I wrote the column, PR and the Press: It's Over but let's still be friends , but I am reminded everyday just why I initiated the break up in the first place. Press releases like this CONSTANTLY litter my inbox:

The Dubai Mall set abuzz as Modhesh pays surprise visit thrilling shoppers and children

Modhesh meets children and hands out goody bags

Dubai, UAE: May 26, 2009: Modhesh, the energetic and ever-smiling mascot of Dubai Summer Surprises, came out in a grand procession at The Dubai Mall, the world’s largest shopping and entertainment destination, recently, as part of his ‘meet and greet’ initiative. His first ever visit to the mall comes during mall-wide entertainment activities that are ongoing as part of Festival@The Dubai Mall.

Crowds of excited children and families gathered around Modhesh and his crew, as he waved and greeted from atop his brightly coloured yellow and red car. Children and adults jostled to get close to Modhesh for the perfect photo as he stopped at the Star Atrium and The Waterfall at the mall’s ground floor.

Modhesh interacted with little children, waving, smiling and shaking hands with them and inviting people young and old to participate in the upcoming summer festival.

Celebrating his 10th year, Modhesh paraded in his little car as confetti, music, and light effects attracted shoppers in the mall. Modhesh was accompanied by jugglers, stilt jumpers, comic animators, mimic artists, acrobats, and dancers.

The eventful half-an-hour also saw Modhesh hand out little surprises in the form of exciting goody bags for children. Dubai Festival City will host the next Modhesh ‘meet and greet’ on May 29th and 30th.
-ends- -

And while I do want to undermine press officers who are serious about their profession, I cannot help but wonder why oh why, do I need to know that Modhesh paid a "surprise" visit to a mall and set the crowd "abuzz." I love Modhesh. I really do- even as a 20-something year old, I awe when I pass by stuffed versions of the yellow Dubai mascot at kiosks in the mall. But I am still trying to make sense of why, the cute little ray of sunshine doing his "job" merits a 200+ word press release, which only detracts from doing mine.

Which reminds me, I have a story to work on.

Adios.

No comments: