Monday, December 15, 2008

Shoe-throwing Terrorism?

I am assuming you live on the moon if you haven't heard of the respectable journalistic standards (no sarcasm here) of one Iraqi journalist:

Iraqi Journalist Throws Shoes at Bush in Baghdad | CNN | December, 15, 2008

Of course, CNN is quick to (erroneously) point out that "hurling shoes at someone, or sitting so that the bottom of a shoe faces another person, is considered an insult among Muslims."
First off, I am pretty sure that hurling your shoe at someone is an insult in ANY society. And it is Arabs (NOT Muslims), that find the sole of a shoe insulting when facing their face.

As hilarious as the shoe-thrower incident was, I am a little worried that we, Muslims, will have to walk barefoot from now on..Hrmm.
This might actually solve my mom's agony over my ever-growing shoe collection.
And it actually just occurred to me that official press conferences might become barefoot events for us, journalists. Let's my journalist peers adhere to strict hygiene standards!
(Caption: Me, practicing walking barefoot from now on)

No comments: